Friday, July 31, 2009

Should I take a PMCC medical coding class w/ a company or have some 12-13 credit comm college certificate?

I dealt with a community college around here but ran into fierce competition. 150 students trying to get into classes that only have room for 25. I then dealt w/ a copmany called Himispheric that gave you the HCPCS, ICD-9-CM, CPT %26amp; PMCC books. That company is in a mess that hasn't been clearly explained to any of the students. Himispheric would have prepared us for the exam where you can be CPC certified. Does an employer care more If you are CPC certified than having some community college certificate?

Should I take a PMCC medical coding class w/ a company or have some 12-13 credit comm college certificate?
The certificate for a medical coder is required and I know 2 entities which provide certification examinations for certified coders .. American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) or American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).





Wivine


www.wivinemedclaimsbilling.com
Reply:Well a red flag goes up if a company is said to be in 'a mess,' and I would steer clear of such a program. If it were myself, I would choose a program at a community college as opposed to one of those private schools or 'no-name' programs anway :)





I've also heard that one really needs at least one year experience in the coding field (and have passed the certification exam(s) as a coder as you mentioned) to get a job as a medical coder.


No comments:

Post a Comment